Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday vowed to press ahead with a fierce military offensive in the Gaza Strip. Israel is pushing back against calls from the United States to wind down the operation that has left hundreds dead.
Netanyahu's tough comments marked the first public rift between the two close allies since the fighting began last week and could complicate international efforts to reach a cease-fire.
Israel continued to pound targets in Gaza with airstrikes, while Hamas fighters rained rockets on Israel throughout Wednesday. In another sign of potential escalation, militants in Lebanon fired a rocket barrage into northern Israel.
Netanyahu said he appreciated “the support of the American president,” but Israel would push ahead with the strikes.
He said he was “determined to continue this operation until its aim is met.” He spoke shortly after US President Joe Biden told Netanyahu that he expected "a significant de-escalation today on the path to a cease-fire".